2
Posted by Epifany in - 26 February 2009 6:26 AM









I have noticed through searching online that people were often concerned about what category they fit into for their hair type. If anything I’ve noticed too much concern about fitting into a group rather than really understanding what their hair needs. My mind is baffled, why would you want to know what your hair type is? At first glance one would think that it is obvious to the eye what you already have. In terms of my hair I know that mine is afro-kinky. I’m of Afro-Caribbean origin, so I need to make sure my hair is well moisturized, as my type of hair is fragile and dry, plus I have a mixture of curls in my hair (the front is different from the back). But knowing that I’m in category 4A doesn’t make much of deference. It tells me nothing other than its visual aspects.


The most important thing to learn about your own hair is your actual hair strand:

-Is it thick? Or is it thin?
-Does you hair go dry often or does it become limp and oily?
-Is it prone to frizz or are your curls well defined?

This will help you choose the right products for your hair. I think it is evident that people in general just want to fit in to this crazed world we live in for a sense of belonging rather than being unique and proud of one’s self.



Illustrations by Epifany


This post has 2 comments
2 bikbik kere edilmiÅŸ
Jacque
March 24, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I agree with you. The 3c 4a stuff doesn't even matter. It's the health of your hair that matters. And I've heard different things about combing natural hair. Do you comb yours? I don't but then it tangles then when I do comb it breaks. So whats best?

Makeup Theory
May 19, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I was very excited to find the hair types list. It has been helpful to me. Some organic/natural hair lines list their products according to this listing - 3B, 4A, etc. And when I visit hair sites I only bother taking advice from women with my hair type - 3B/4A.

Post a Comment