0
Posted by Epifany in - 16 June 2009 12:44 PM

I received this email yesterday...

Ms. Epifany,

Your blog is awesome and I need some consulting. I have not permed my hair for about a year now. I have been gradually chopping off the permed ends and currently I have an all-natural head, hurray! However I have a big problem and it's making me feel like this entire process was pointless. Not until chopping off everything did I realize that the entire front/top of my head does not curl at all, not even the ends. The back and sides give me beautiful curls when I apply a cream or leave in conditioner. The hair practically grows in straight and puffy and since it is right in the front of my head I cannot wear my hair out and natural. Twist will not stay in unless they are flat to my head going all the way back but doing this every night is not realistic with my lifestyle.

I have been using a flat iron to blend the growing out process. I always used more heat in the back since the texture is rougher and the hair in the back never got damaged. The front is kinky straight kind of poofy and just there. If I put it in a ponytail and tie a scarf tightly it will come out wavy in the front. I use a lot of products- leave in conditioners mostly but some jam or oils also. I did not comb or wrap my hair a lot while it was flat ironed straight because I liked to keep it in pin curls when it wasn't down. My hair is thick and has little to no breakage and barely sheds when I wash it. It seems like my hair is healthy so I don't know what to do. The front is about bang length the back is longer to about the nape of my neck.

Was this process all for nothing to be natural with half a head of straight hair? Someone suggested a curly perm/ S curl in the front, what do you think?

Thanks for your help,

Caron
*******************************

Dear Caron


First of all I wouldn't go out and get a curly perm because that could create future problems. You might notice more shedding and breakage than before and there is not many professional salons that still do them. I wouldn't do a perm myself and there could be numerous reasons why the front of your hair is straighter than the back, which can be easily resolved. It could range from you having 2 different hair textures, which means that they just have to be treated differently or you might have the dreaded heat damage, as you say that the ends do not curl at all. I know with my hair that I flat ironed it once in the past and the back was fine after being washed but the front was a hot mess, especially the ends so I had to cut and grow it out to start again…

Another reason could be that you have product build up which in this case you need to clarify your hair. Product build up can make the hair have a looser curl pattern and weigh the hair down. In this case using lighter oils/ creams (e.g. coconut oil, almond oil, shea butter), gels, and sulfate–free shampoos or apple cider vinegar, baking soda and moisturizing conditioners in the area should help. I know when it comes to products less is more, try not to put a lot of product in the front of your hair and check your product regime, as certain products contain bad ingredients that weigh down the hair or alter the texture pattern (Sodium Hydroxide).


You say that you barely have any breakage or shedding so maybe that is your hair’s natural state. Was your hair this texture before you started perming it? If this is the case then there’s nothing wrong with your hair and you just have to learn ways to style your hair better. Most likely the twists don’t stay in because you often trim your hair so the ends are too straight to hold!


There are a lot of hairstyles you can do so that you don’t notice the obvious texture difference. For example you could have a hump (not sure if this is the right term) in the front clipped down at the top and the back hanging down or slick down the front/sides with a side part , Denman brush and shea butter, clip behind the ears with small comb clips, rocking an afro.


You could also try a straw set on the front of your hair (freshly washed hair), using straws that produce similar width/size curls as the back. Add small amounts of gel or setting lotion before putting each straw, air dry and after you remove the straws, separate and twirl each curl with your fingers to create fullness. Once the hairstyle is achieved just wrap the hair at night with a satin scarf and spritz daily so the style lasts longer.


There is a girl on youtube called "prettydimples01" you should look her up as she often does these types of hairstyles. Click
here for her page.

I hope this helps.


Readers do you
know of anything else I might have missed?


This post has 0 comments
0 bikbik kere edilmiÅŸ

Post a Comment