17
Posted by Epifany in - 28 April 2009 10:21 AM
I was just browsing Youtube today and came across this video about a technique that I have never heard of in Europe before called the 'Dominican Blowout'. Apparently its common in the US, where natural sistas go to a Dominican salon and have their hair washed, conditioned, roller set and then blow dried bone straight with a hairdryer whilst using a round brush.




I watched in horror when I saw the amount of heat that was applied to the natural hair and the amount of smoke coming from it. This must be damaging to the hair right?. I have always been told by my hairdresser, my mother and friends that excessive heat damages. Yet I saw this video and comments from people that say it’s great, whilst others say they want to have it done.


In my opinion I’m very skeptical because of a past experience with a flat iron (I flat ironed my hair once on low heat with heat protectant and my beautiful hair died! ahhh). Don’t get me wrong I watched the video to the end and saw some amazing results. The natural sista's hair looked very healthy, shiny, thick and full of body but I don’t think I would ever try it for fear that I’ll lose my hair for good!. That flat iron scare was enough for me.



Anyways watch the video yourself and draw your own conclusions. If there is anyone who has had a Dominican blowout, please let me know how it worked on your hair and for those who have never had it done, would you do it?



This post has 17 comments
17 bikbik kere edilmiÅŸ
Anonymous
May 8, 2009 at 1:43 PM

all of that heat is not worth it - - if you want it straight you might as well perm it because it wont last for that long, maybe 2 weeks max

Anonymous
May 9, 2009 at 6:13 AM

Woow, dat much be damaging...
**looks afraid**

Makeup Theory
May 19, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I have read accounts of hair breakage from this, but that makes perfect sense. They are frying their hair. I have to ask why this is so popular here in the US. Could it be the media's portrayal of the white woman and her straight hair as the ideal? I have white clients who have gorgeous curly or wavy hair and they want to do this to their hair to get it bone straight. I just shake my head.

Anonymous
May 27, 2009 at 5:48 PM

i've never had a dominican blowout,but it doesnt look too much different than the straightening comb technique,i used the straightening comb until i wuz about 13,it doesn't damage your hair(i didnt begin to lose my hair until i started using perms)but as for this "dominican blowout" i was all for it until i saw the flat iron.That's definitely a no-no for healthy hair

Anonymous
June 9, 2009 at 12:51 PM

hi every one for the most i have to say i.m dominican and i have to say we have masterd the african hair care regimen in a box it all about quality hair products pelnty of moisture and the les pulling by doing rollerset to dry it
see all that smoke it is the products that buring off not her hair .
fist u sampoo the deep condition is key under hood dryer with a plastic cap for about 20min or you can just do erans with the deep conditioner on. the wash it out with warm or cold water after you put like salerm protective leave in conditioner the do rollers set keeps of constand pulling on the hair less damage less direct heat. then 30 to 40 mins under the hood dryer. you wood take the down the rollers and put bit of heat protecting cream or serum after that section yout hair and then bowdry the kinks and the beging the front of the hair to give it a bit of a bouce . i have 4b and i dont have burt hair of anything like that just hydrate our hair corretly and not to much direct heat thaT ALL

Anonymous
September 26, 2009 at 8:09 PM

i think all the smoke is from the product that was put on the hair eventhough that was a lot of heat, a little to much for me but the end result was beautiful, i think this would be something that you couldn't do on a regular basis, maybe only on special occassions and i probaly still would have reservations about it, but i can personally vouche for dominican haircare, im now natural and have been for many years now but i use to wear perms and i use to go to a dominican hair salon for wash, conditions and rollerset/ wraps and that was the healthiest my hair has ever been with a perm, they really do know healthy haircare, but this procedure, i might try it but only once and if i like and not damaging maybe only once or twice a yr

Anonymous
November 14, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I've been natural for a year and half. I have a combination of 4a and 4b hair. Last week I got a Dominican Blowout for the first time just to see how much length I had. After the stylist was done with my hair, I really loved it because it was straight, shiny and bouncey. However, I decided to wash my hair today (because I have dry scalp). After I got through washing my hair, I realized that my curl pattern was ruined due to the blowout. Some parts of my hair is kinky and some parts are straight. Needless to say, I am very pissed but you live and learn. For the next few months, I'm just going to trim my ends until I get rid of all the damaged fried hair. I'm not posting this to say that I am now anti-dominican blowouts but I'm certainly posting this to let you know that you need to be very selective when picking a Dominican salon and a Dominican stylist to do your hair. I think the stylist who did my hair, did not use a heat protectant on my hair before she proceeded to blow dry and flat iron it. So WARNING TO ALL READING THIS POST, if you decide to get a Dominican blowout, as I mentioned before you need to be very selective and ask the stylist what products they use to prep your hair for the blowout. I personally wished I'd never gotten the blowout.

Anonymous
December 17, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Hello, I go to the salon once a week to have this done. My hair is down to my back the top of my bottom and it is not damaging. my salon uses a heat protectant. this is very good and healthy.

Anonymous
March 6, 2010 at 9:25 PM

" ALL THAT HEAT " DOESNT BREAK YOUR HAIR .
as long as you're using anti-breakage hair creams before they blow it out ; me & my godsisters have been blowing out our hair for hairs & are known as the " africans w| the longest hair in school " .

Monique Edwards
March 13, 2010 at 1:06 AM

From what I have read, this is not frying the hair, but what you are seeing is the product vaporizing from the heat. It is not smoke. If the hair was being burned, it would not be shiny and silky looking after it was finished, I would think it would be kind of dull appearing and frazzled. I'm in the Seattle area, so there are no Dominican shops out here. I'm going to have to get my own supplies and do my own trial and error thang. Wish me luck.

Anonymous
March 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Good luck with the trial and error. It is rewarding once you get it down. I love the Dominican blowout...It is very inexpensive and once you find the right stylist...keep her! I live in Atlanta and we have plenty of options. However, I have learned how to do it myself so I only go to the salon on special occasions. Otherwise, as the previous posts mentioned, moisture is extremely important. I steam my hair once or twice a week. I deep condition every time. I protect my hair with leave in conditioner before blowing it out. If you are afraid of the dominican blowout, there are natural hair salons that do the same process, with less smoke...:-)) Oh and the blowout does hurt. That dryer is fierce. The lady in this video had extremely tight curly hair. I have seen all textures done and the hair always comes out looking shiny and bouncy.

Anonymous
March 18, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I've been to two Dominican salons in DC. I did not like either blowout. After the first salon, my hair smelled fried. I was attending several functions that weekend, and I needed to get my hair re-washed to rid it of the smell, grease, and simi stiff hair. The second salon used a lot of heat also. Both the hair dryer and blow dryer were ridiculously hot. I found the styling poor, at both. However, as someone that is a professional, who has been natural for a little better than two years now, and who still likes to wear my hair straight, I don't disapprove of all heat use.

I love the natural hair salon in Atlanta, GA, called Too Groovy. They do a fabulous blow out. Generally, a wash and deep condition, then blow from wet to dry. The hair is exceedingly silky, soft, shinny, and beautiful. I believe their process is pretty safe. My hair has never smelled like smoke after leaving there. In fact, the entire salon is generally getting a blowout, and there is no smell of burned hair. Plus, the styling is great--a very clean and professional place, all done in an hour to an hour an a half. I wished I lived near a Too Groovy Salon.

Chrys, Baton Rouge, LA

Anonymous
March 28, 2010 at 5:53 AM

I had this blow out done a few days ago...The blow dryer was pretty hot, But my hair is soo silky and bouncy,it was well worth it! I love it and don't think it is very damaging, as long as the professional use heat protectant before applying heat. This is a process that I will continue to get done(once a month) during the winter months, and wear braids or some other protective style in the summer to give my hair a break. Before this blow out, i used to flat iron my hair,it still curls when it is wet,and it's not damaged.

Anonymous
September 18, 2010 at 5:27 PM

you do realise that that blow dryer is a steam dryer right? if it were dry heat the lady's hair would fall out.

Anonymous
January 18, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Ok...i currently get Dominican blowouts once a month. I LOVE IT! I am African American an to most I have nice long hair. However some think that the technique works wonders which it do for some people, but it all depends on ur hair texture. I have seen some come out the chair with BEAUTUFUL, BOUNCY hair an others with kinda stiff but straight hair. ONCE AGAIN....IT DEFENDS ON THE TEXTURE OF YOUR HAIR. Every time I go I'm 100% satisfied. It also allow me to not have to get perms as much. I used to perm my hair about once a month now I'm perming once every two months. Another thing the Dominican salon dont offer as many styles as others...they specialize in straighting and pin curls for the most part.

Anonymous
August 14, 2011 at 11:56 PM

I was wondering after washing my daughter hair that she didn't have the same curl pattern her ends were straight. I suddenly started to get pissed. She has been going to a dominican hair stylist for a year.. I only take her once a month and she gets a deep conditioning and blow dry. Why are her ends straight???

Epifany
August 15, 2011 at 12:01 PM

@ Anonymous. I think the reason why the ends are now straight is because the curl pattern is damaged. The only solution is to cut the ends off.

Post a Comment