1
Posted by Epifany in - 04 May 2009 5:14 AM
Shay, 26, from Bermuda

How long have you been natural?

Last relaxer was Summer of 07’ (July maybe?).

How did your family and friends react to you being natural?
My friends were really enthusiastic about it, mostly because they are considering it themselves (guess they
want to see the whole process lol) my family is fine with it, my mom is natural; my styles are something my grandmother is not used to (it being wild most of the time).


How has your hair experience been so far, any problems arise with your hair and solutions?
When my hair was shorter I used to think it was dry. I think it was just the lengt
h. Once it got longer I didn’t have that problem really. Once I did a “trial and error” with different products and I found the ones that worked Then it was fine. ☺

What 3 products can’t you live without?
Oh that’s easy! …Vigorol Curl Cream, Carol’s Daughter Hair milk and EVOO (extra virgin olive oil).

Give me one word to describe your hair?
FIERCE!

What hairstyle do you love wearing the most?
I mostly wear “braid outs” I like the big wild look.


How does wearing natural hair make you feel?
Honestly, I feel like I’ve enhanced my beauty but in a different way. It’s hard to
describe it really, it just feels different. I can't say that I feel more in touch or anything but I do feel like I look better and I feel like it’s a more accurate look for who I am as a person.

Do you have any advice or tips for people who are transitioning or natural?
Well, what I would say is “just do it” don’t think hard about it or how you think you will look. I think that we are so stuck on the notion that we only look beautiful with “relaxed” hair and its really not the case. No ma
tter what texture your hair is, there are many ways to make your hair fabulous! Being natural means being versatile. You can switch up your hair styles at anytime and lets not forget about the “black women don’t get their hair wet” or “black women don’t go out in the rain” LOL…that is thrown out the door…well for me it is!

Any last words to add?
All I can say is…it comes down to who you are as a person and what you think is in
your comfort zone. If your not patient…it’s not for you. If you worry about what people think constantly…it’s not for you. It takes a lot of time and patience when growing your hair out and sometimes styling so GOOD LUCK and GO FOR IT!



This post has 1 comments
1 bikbik kere edilmiÅŸ
Makeup Theory
May 19, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Nice post. She looks beautiful. I have to say, I'm so sick of the bone straight, fake hair look I could scream. It's nice to see women defining their own style of beauty.

Post a Comment