1
Posted by Epifany in - 13 May 2009 9:57 AM
Having named my blog ‘Your Epifany’ I find it only normal to share with you my latest epiphany brought on by a conversation with my boyfriend whilst he was playing FIFA 09 on his Xbox 360. Now before I continue let me give you a scenario…

Imagine you are shopping around for a car. You have a particular family car in mind and come across a car salesman. The salesman shows you several options and you finally find the best family car according to the salesman. With no more than a convincing smile, the salesman says the following:

“This car has 7 seats, a spacious boot, air conditioning, central locking and power steering, but please note that it has no seat belts, a missing window, no hand brake and the petrol tank is tied with a string to the top of the bonnet. Plus there is no guarantee that you’ll manage to drive the car for a few blocks and actually survive. All of this for £650 and I’ll let you drive off with it the same day”

Now what would you say? I hope you would say “not a chance!” because it sounds like a death trap. I mean, jeez there’s a dodgy petrol tank, no handbrake or seat belts! You wouldn’t buy a car with all these problems now would you? I would assume that you would wait for the car to be fixed with actually proof that its safe to drive. Well that was exactly what I was comparing the ingredients that are found in beauty cosmetics to.

I have read a lot of articles and websites about the ingredients Paraben and Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Having seen both sides of the story, I came to the conclusion with my boyfriend today that if I don’t see any concrete evidence that these products don’t cause any long/short term illnesses, then why should I buy them? I would rather avoid these ingredients then to use them. Saying that there is no evidence is like saying that it’s not safe to use either.

My motto is: Dangerous till proven safe!

Here are some links for further reading:
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
SLS
Paraben



This post has 1 comments
1 bikbik kere edilmiÅŸ
Makeup Theory
May 19, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Good for you. When I talk to my clients who are women of color about the ingredients issue, they tell me they don't care so much. What??? I'm sorry, but looking sexy (or getting a bargain) doesn't mean much to me if the products will give me cancer. Come on, ladies, this is important stuff.

Post a Comment